Associate Chief Physician, The 4th Medical Center of PLA General Hospital at Beijing, China
Yupeng Zhang is an orthopedic spinal surgeon and associate chief surgeon in the 4th Medical Center of PLA General Hospital at Beijing, China, where he has been since 2004. From 2016 to 2017 he was a visiting scholar at University of Southern California Spine Center, visiting physician at OrthoCarolina Spine Center and the Spine Hospital of Columbia University in the U.S. He received M.D. from the First Military Medical University in 2004.
His research interests span both spinal surgery and assistant intelligence (AI). Much of his work has been on the diagnosing and surgery of the spine disease, and research of AI aided diagnosis of spinal disease. He has developed a novel method to evaluate the axial vertebra rotation of scoliosis based on plain X-ray films. He has also boosted the AI research in spine surgery. He has given numerous invited talks and tutorials, and is a consultant to two companies involved in AI research.
Dr. Zhang holds 2 patents deriving from his research, that are, “A patient-specific drill guide template used to assist the insertion of thoracic pedical screw”, and “a novel method to evaluate the axial vertebra rotation of scoliosis based on plain X-ray films”. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the official CME website of Chinese Associate of Orthopedic Surgeon and Member of the First Committee of Digital Orthopedics, SICOT China Chapter since 2016. He won the Grand Champion of Spinal Surgery Case Contest of Chinese Associate Spine and Spinal Cord in 2016, the First Prize of Huaxia Medical Science Award in 2013, the Second Class Prize of Chinese Medical Science Award in 2012, and Best paper of Annual Conference of Chinese Microsurgery in 2010.
- Zhang YP, Shi YM, Wang HD, Hou SX (2015) Case-control study on accuracy and safety of patient-specific drill-guide templates in scoliosis cases. Zhongguo Gu Shang 28: 945-950.
- Zhang YP, Shi YM, Wang HD, Hou SX (2015) Research on the application of individual digital navigation templates in scoliosis surgery. Chinese Journal of Bone and Joint 4: 219-223.
- Wang HD, Shi YM, Li L, Guo JD, Zhang YP, et al. (2013) Treatment with resveratrol attenuates sublesional bone loss in spinal cord-injured rats. Br J Pharmacol 170: 796-806.
- Zhang YP (2013) New progress of non-fusion technique in spine surgery. Chinese Journal of Bone and Joint 2: 353-357.
- Zhang YP, Yang RG, Zhu JL, Zuo TT, Hou SX (2012) Posterior tibial artery perforator flap plus soleus muscular flap for treatment of postoperative infectious bone and soft tissue defects following internal fixation of tibial shaft fractures. Chin J Orthop Trauma 14: 488-492.
- Zhang YP, Wang XJ, Li L, Wang HD (2012) The thickness of subcutaneous fat as a risk factor postoperative infections after lumbar spinal fusion. Infection Inflammation Repair 13: 219-222.
- Zhang YP, Ren DF, Wu Y, Wang HD, Ma C, et al. (2012) Surgical treatment of thoracolumbar single compression fracture by using in situ rod rotation reduction. Zhongguo Gu Shang 25: 838-841.
- Zhang YP, Wu Y, Ren DF, Shang WL, Wu WW, et al. (2012) New vertebral compression fractures after percutaneous vertebroplasty. Journal of Practical Orthopaedics 18: 865-868.
- Zhang YP, Li L, Hou SX (2012) The value of the measurement of the interpediculate distance in assessing the severity of thoracolumbar burst fractures. Chinese Journal of Bone and Joint 1: 591-594.
- Wei X, He JJ, Hou SX, Shi YM, Zhang YP, et al. (2010) The anatomic and radiographic morphometry of thoracic pedicle rib unit. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 48: 1313-1316.