SILVA TAROUCA Research Institute for Landscape and Ornamental Gardening
Pruhonice, Czech Republic
Ivan is director of the SILVA TAROUCA Institute for Landscape and Ornamental Gardening established in 1927 and currently maintained by the Czech Ministry for the Environment. The institute was named after Silva Tarouca, founder of the famous park (UNESCO) at Pruhonice near Prague that has been a national centre for research of ornamental plants and significant collection of woody species.
Ivan was born and grew up in Czechia, a western part of former Czechoslovakia, since 1993 the Czech Republic. He holds RNDr (M.A.), CSc. (Ph.D) and doc. (Assoc. Prof.) degrees in biology and plant ecology from the Charles University in Prague and the former University of Agriculture in Prague. He has been interested in monitoring the environmental quality using suitable plant indicators and natural material for chemical analyses. Some monitoring programmes were carried down at the scale of the Czech Republic or in a more fine scale of mapping the pollution loads distribution in the surroundings of crucial sources of pollution. He collaborated on implementation of three international projects with several research staffs from European and Japanese institutes and universities. Results from the projects of monitoring the current atmospheric deposition loads of pollutants have been included in national and European reports and databases. Ivan with the research staff and foreign collaborators has published about forty papers on biomonitoring and biogeochemistry topics in international research journals and in home and international conference proceedings with fairly average citations.
His other position has included Assistant Professor and later Associated Professor at the Department of Botany at Charles University in Prague. Ivan taught plant ecology and bioclimatology and conducted laboratory and field exercises in plant ecology methods for about twenty years.
Areas of Interest
Monitoring the contamination of forest compartments (mosses, vascular plants, humus, soils) by risk elements including radionuclides, element cycling and environmental chemistry of pollutants, effects of environmental pollution on plants.
1969-1974: Student at the Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, Czechia
1974 “Graduated Biologist” (Specialization Biology and Plant Ecology).
1974-1978: Doctoral studies at the Czech Agricultural University in Prague
1978 “CSc.”, Candidate of Agricultural and Forest Sciences (=Ph.D.).
1988: Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, passed a state rigorosum examination in biology and plant ecology
1988 “RNDr.” (Rerum Naturalium Doctor, = M.A.).
2003-2004: Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, passed a procedure to attain Associate Professorship for branch of plant ecology
2004: “doc.” (= Associate Professor).
1973 - Till Date
Silva Taroucy Research Institute for Landscape and Ornamental Gardening, Průhonice, Czech Republic (http://www.vukoz.cz/index.php/en)
Positions: Postgraduate, Researcher, Head of the Department of Landscape, Head of the Department of Biomonitoring, Deputy for research, Head of the Institute. Coordinator, Principal Investigator or Co-investigator of more than 50 research projects including three international projects.
Research activities and projects: Coordinator, Principal Investigator or Co-investigator of more than 50 research projects including three international aimed to monitoring the contamination of compounds of the environment through analysis of suitable plant indicators, determination of atmospheric deposition loads of elements and organic compounds using moss and humus, contamination of river floodplains, contamination ranges along roads and in the surroundings of pollution sources, ecological services of vegetation plots, biogeochemistry, etc.
1995 - 2013:
Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, Assistant Professor, later Associate Professor. Lectures: plant ecology, bioclimatology, and laboratory and field exercises of plant ecology.
External lecturer of Bioclimatology at present.
Member of academic councils: Ministry for the Environment, Faculty of Horticulture Mendel University in Brno, Institute for Environmental Studies Faculty of Science Charles University in Prague.
Married, Wife Julie, one son Martin (*1982).
- Procházka V, Sucharová J, Suchara I, Holá M (2019) Stopové prvky v lesních půdách ČR podle biogeochemického mapování a jejich vztah k horninovému podloží. Trace elements in forest soils of the Czech Republic according to biochemical monitoring and their relation to the geological background. Zprávy o geologických výzkumech 52: 117-123. (http://www.geology.cz/img/zpravyvyzkum/fulltext/19_Prochazka_190616.pdf).
- Suchara I (2019) The impact of floods on the structure and functionl processes of floodplain ecosystems. Journal of Soil and Plant Biology 2019: 28-44.
- Markert B, Kim ES, Fränzle S, Wünschmann S, Wang M, et al. (2019) Teaching green Analytical Chemistry on the example of bioindication and biomonitoring (B & B) technologies.- In: Namiesnik J, Plotka-Wasylka J. (eds.) Green Analytical Chemistry - Past, present and perspectives. Heidelberg, Springer.
- Nickel S, Schröder W, Schmalfuss R, Saathoff M, Harmens H, et al. (2018) Modelling spatial patterns of correlations between concentrations of heavy metals in mosses and atmospheric deposition in 2010 across Europe. Environmental Sciences Europe 30: 53. (https://doi.org/10.1186/s12302-018-0183-8).
- Takahashi S, Suchara I, Sucharová J, Okamoto K, Umegaki K, et al. (2018) Downward migration of Cs within the humus layer under temperate coniferous forest stands in the Czech Republic. Journal of Soils and Sediments 18: 276-286.
- Schröder W, Nickel S, Schönrock S, Schmalfuss R, Wosniok W, et al. (2017) Bioindication and modelling of atmospheric deposition in forests enable exposure and effect monitoring at high spatial density across scales. Annals of Forest Science 74: 31.
- Nickel S, Schroder W, Wosniok W, Harmens H, Frontasyeva MV, et al. (2017) Modelling and mapping heavy metal and nitrogen concentrations in moss in 2010 throughout Europe by applying Random Forest models. Atmospheric Environment 156: 146-159.
- Suchara I, Sucharová J, Holá M (2017) A quarter century of biomonitoring atmospheric pollution in the Czech Republic. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 24: 11949-11963.
- Škrkal J, Pilátová H, Rulík P, Suchara I, Sucharová J, et al. (2017) Behaviour of 137Cs in forest humus detected across the territory of the Czech Republic. Science of the Total Environment 1: 593-594: 155-164.
- Suchara I (2017) Chapter 5. The distribution of 137Cs in selected compartments of coniferous forests in the Czech Republic. In: Gupta DK, Walther C [eds.] Impact of Cesium on Plants and the Environment. Pg no: 71-79. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, 318 pp. ISBN: 978-3-319-41524-6 (Print) 978-3-319-41525-3 (Online).
- Takahashi S, Suchara I, Okamoto K, Sucharová J, Umegaki K, et al. (2017) Retention of 137Cs in forest floor at three temperate coniferous forest stands in the Czech Republic diversely affected by fallout after the Chernobyl disaster in 1986. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 31: 929-935.
- Sucharova J, Suchara I (2006) Determination of 36 elements in plant reference materials with different Si contents by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry: Comparison of microwave digestions assisted by three types of digestion mixtures. Analytica Chimica Acta 576: 163-176.
- Sucharova J, Suchara I (1998) Atmospheric deposition levels of chosen elements in the Czech Republic determined in the framework of the International Bryomonitoring Program 1995. Science of the Total Environment 223: 37-52.
- Suchara I, Sucharova J (2002) Distribution of sulphur and heavy metals in forest floor humus of the Czech Republic. Water Air and Soil Pollution 136: 289-316.
- Sucharova Julie, Suchara Ivan, Hola Marie, et al. (2012) Top-/bottom-soil ratios and enrichment factors: What do they really show? Applied Geochemistry 27: 138-145.
- Suchara Ivan, Sucharova Julie, Hola Marie, et al. (2011) The performance of moss, grass, and 1- and 2-year old spruce needles as bioindicators of contamination: A comparative study at the scale of the Czech Republic. Science of the Total Environment 409: 2281-2297.
- Sucharova J, Suchara I, Reimann C, et al. (2011) Spatial distribution of lead and lead isotopes in soil B-horizon, forest-floor humus, grass (Avenella flexuosa) and spruce (Picea abies) needles across the Czech Republic. Applied Geochemistry 26: 1205-1214.
- Sucharova J, Suchara I (2004) Distribution of 36 element deposition rates in a historic mining and smelting area as determined through fine-scale biomonitoring techniques. Part I: Relative and absolute current atmospheric deposition levels detected by moss analyses. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 153: 205-228.
- Sucharova J, Suchara I (2004) Current multi-element distribution in forest epigeic moss in the Czech Republic - a survey of the Czech national biomonitoring programme 2000. Chemosphere 57: 1389-1398.
- Suchara I, Sucharova J (2004) Distribution of 36 element deposition rates in a historic mining and smelting area as determined through fine-scale biomonitoring techniques. Part II: Relative long-term accumulated atmospheric deposition levels. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 153: 229-252.
- Sucharova J, Suchara I, Hola M, Reimann C (2014) Contemporary lead concentration and stable lead isotope ratio distribution in forest moss across the Czech Republic. Applied Geochemistry 40: 51-60.
- Sakalys J, Kvietkus K, Sucharova J, Suchara I, Valiulis D (2009) Changes in total concentrations and assessed background concentrations of heavy metals in moss in Lithuania and the Czech Republic between 1995 and 2005. Chemosphere 76: 91-97.
- Suchara I, Sucharová J, Holá M (2015) Monitoring změn úrovní atmosférické depozice pomocí lesních bioindikátorů. In: Pecinová A. [ed.] Sborník X. konference Ochrana ovzduší ve státní správě, teorie a praxe. Hustopeče 10.–12. 11. 2015, Pg no: 62-68. Vodní zdroje Ekomonitor spol. s r.o., Chrudim. (ISBN 978-80-86832-89-0).
- Suchara I, Sucharová J, Holá M (2015) A quarter century of biomonitoring the atmospheric pollution loads at the scale of the Czech Republic. What have analyses of moss, bark and humus bioindicators shown?- In: 7th International Workshop on Biomonitoring of Atmospheric Pollution, 14th-19th June 2015, Lisbon, Portugal, Book of Abstracts, Pg no: 37. Instuto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa. (ISBN: 978-989-98342-2-4; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/278964770_BIOMAP_7_-_Book_of_Abstracts_-_7th_International_Workshop_on_Biomonitoring_of_Atmospheric_Pollution_-_14th-19th_June_2015_-_Lisbon_Portugal).
- Suchara I, Sucharová J, Holá M (2015) Physico-chemical variability of alluvial sediments in a floodplain area of the downstream Vltava (Moldau) River in the Czech Republic after the last catastrophic flood in 2013.- World Multidisciplinary Earth Sciences Symposium 2015 WMESS 2015, 7–11 Sept., 2015, Prague, Abstract Collection Book, Pg no: 469. (https://mess-earth.org/files/WMESS2015_Book.pdf).
- Suchara I (2015) Časové změny atmosférické depozice na území ČR v letech 1990-2010 zjištěné bioindikátory. In: Kadlecová P [ed.] Ekologie krajiny v České republice – vývoj, výsledky a perspektivy. U příležitosti 100. výročí narození prof. Emila Hadače. Sborník abstraktů z výroční konference CZ-IALE, Brno, 6. 2. 2015, Pg no: 24. Mendelova univerzita, Brno. (ISBN 978-80-7509-197-0; http://www.iale.cz/downloads/CZ_IALE_Sbornik_2015.pdf).
- Takahashi S, Suchara I, Okamoto K, Umegaki K, Fujiyoshi R (2014) Distribution of 137Cs in forest compartments of selected areas in the Czech Republic.- In: Near Surface Geoscience 2014 – 20th European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, 14.-18. Sept. 2014, Athens, Conference Proceedings, European Association of Geophysics and Engineers, 3990 DB Houten, The Netherlands, Pg no: 530-534. (978-163439-274-7, http://earthdoc.eage.org/publication/publicationdetails/?publication=77718; http://toc.proceedings.com/23585webtoc.pdf). DOI. 10.3997/2214-4609.20142051.
- Suchara I, Sucharová J, Holá M, Maříková Š, Reimann C, et al. (2012) 22.0 Distribution of multielement concentrations in selected compounds in coniferous forests in the Czech Republic.- In: Nriagu J, Pacyna J, Szefer P, Markert B, Wünschmann S, Namiesnik J (eds.): Heavy metals in the environment. Selected Papers from the 15th International Conference on Heavy metals in the environment ICHMET-15, 19-23 Sept., 2010, Gdańsk, Poland, Pg no: 253-270. Maraltebooks BV Publ., (DOI: 10.5645/b.2.22; [ISBN (electronic) 978-94-90970-07-9; ISBN (print) 978-94-90970-00-0).
- Harmens H, Norris DA, Cooper DM, Schröder W, Pesch R, et al. (2011) 5.5 Mosses as biomonitors of atmospheric nitrogen deposition - potential application at Natura 2000 sites.- In: Hicks WK, Whitfield CP, Bealey WJ, Sutton MA [eds.] Nitrogen deposition and Natura 2000. Science and Practice in Determining Environmental Impacts. COST729/Nine/ESF/CCW/JNCC/SEI Workshop Proceedings, p. 147-154. Published by COST. (ISBN 978-91-86125-23-3, http://cost729.ceh.ac.uk/n2kworkshop; http://cost729.ceh.ac.uk/files/Nitrogen-Deposition-and-Natura-2000-Full-Book.pdf).
- Suchara I, Sucharová J, Holá M, Weiser M (2010) Changes in concentrations of 14 elements in moss caused by time and site-specific effects in the Czech republic between 1995 and 2005.- In: 23rd Task Force Meeting of the ICP-Vegetation, 1-3 February 2010, Tervuren, Belgium, Programme & Abstracts, Pg no:22.
- Sucharová J, Holá M, Suchara I, Reimann C, Boyd R, et al. (2010) Comparison of element content distribution in moss, grass and spruce needles in coniferous forests of the Czech Republic in 2005–2006.- In: 23rd Task Force Meeting of the ICP-Vegetation, 1-3 February 2010, Tervuren, Belgium, Programme & Abstracts, Pg no: 23.
- Sucharová J, Reimann C, Suchara I, Holá M, Boyd R (2010) Large-scale distribution of lead and selected lead isotopes in moss and grass of coniferous forests across the Czech Republic in 2005. In: 23rd Task Force Meeting of the ICP-Vegetation, 1-3 February 2010, Tervuren, Belgium, Programme & Abstracts, Pg no: 39.
Doc., RNDr. Ivan Suchara, CSc.
For more list of publications visit the URL: http://www.vukoz.cz/index.php/en/department-900/32-suchara-ivan?alias=suchara-ivan&catalias=116